Spela bound for the top
Spela Pretnar of Slovenia
Credit: Clive Brunskill
by Andy McKenzie
Spela Pretnar produced a wonderful second run to win her fourth World Cup slalom of the season at Are, Sweden
on February 20.
- The Slovenian was third after the first run, but stormed back to win in a time of one minute 32.02s.
- It was her third win in a row and extends her lead at the top of the overall slalom standings, making her clear
favourite to take the Crystal Globe with just one race remaining.
- The 27-year-old now holds a 55 point cushion at the top of the standings from Frances Christel Saioni,
who finished in fourth place after leading following the opening run.
- Kristina Koznick from the USA was second, 0.24s behind Pretnar, her best finish of the season, which moves
her up to seventh place in the overall slalom standings.
- Swedens Anja Paerson was third in a time of one minute 32.53s, a result which moves her into fourth
- With Austrian Renate Goetschl going out of the race in the opening run, there was no change at the top of
the overall World Cup standings.